Hey everybody, I’m back! It was a beautiful weekend here in PDX, as I’m sure it was in many other places in the world as well. So let’s give everyone a little something to start the week out right with. This post is actually a request from e-mile (his blog link is on my list) who said he hasn’t heard this album in almost 20 years. Well, here it is. Once again we’re on the Mainstream label, this time it’s with some solo work from Mr. Hal Galper. As you can see from the cover (pardon the pic my scanner is toasted right now), the session features Hal rockin’ the Fender Rhodes. Within, there are some pretty dreamy Rhodes passages that give the album a nice organic feel. Hal is joined by the very young Brecker Brothers on brass, Randy’s trumpet work is nice but Mike tends to lay the soprano sax on a bit thick for my taste. All and all, it’s still a killer session filled with an almost spiritual quality that really soars at times. So, sit back and enjoy something for your inner primate.
Tuesday, June 17, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

32 comments:
Enjoy!!!
http://www.mediafire.com/?d9itped5ed2
Thank you! I've been looking for this and Hal Galper's Wildbird and Inner Journey. Thank you so much for this one!
thank you, looks good
this will take three hours to download on my temporarily slowed system, can't wait :)
I know Hal from his great live work with Cal Tjader, should be a good one, thankyou good Doctor :)
hi dear Doctor,
thank you SO MUCH for giving me the chance to hear it again!!!
btw isn't Mike the one on sax & Randy the one on the trumps?
[:-)
peace, E-mile
hearing it FINALLY back, it's even BETTER than I remembered!!!
Damn, unbelievable I lost this one....Most of the tunes were instantly back in my head, strange how one's "musical memory" works.
Once again, thank you a zillion times...(I know, that's a lot :-)
peace, E-mile
thanks doctor !
Some great tunes here, love it!
The Breckers are sounding kinda Eddie Henderson and Bennie Maupinish ..
Thanks for this great Hal album! Amazing blog you have here Doc... I'll link you up, if it's OK with you? Peace...
Djalma
Thanks for the correction e-mile. I always get those Breckers mixed up. Glad you enjoyed the post. I'm really not hating on Mike's soprano work either, my ear just leans more towards the tenor when it comes to the saxophone.
Djalma, thanks for stopping by and please do add me to your links that would be great. I will do the same.
Peace..........Dr.
Thank you for this. Yes it is a nice day today in PDX even if we have to wait until NOON to get any sun around here!
Appreciate johnny fever...........lovely album!!
Another winner, thanks Doc. This blog is off to a remarkable start.
Okay, I gotta hear...... Thank you my friend!!
Hi dear Dr. Johnny Fever,
please fish this out of the comment bin and into your ears!
Text looks just awful in this tiny box, but hey...it's a way of saying THANKS for all the great stuff you brought & gonna bring us!No doubt.
Buddy Terry - Pure Dynamite 1972 LP rip
1. Buddy Terry - quiet afternoon (9:59)
2. Buddy Terry - paranoia (10:36)
3. Buddy Terry - bab hengates/miscegenation (16:52)
A decent 192 rip from vinyl, we did a few years ago at a friends place (I myself can't rip vinyl at home,only PLAY them damn records:-)
Only a tiny pic for the cover, as my scanner is just A4.
It's a rather crisp copy, very recommended Mainstream stuff!
I'm not big in (english) words, so here's a little praise I copy/pasted from our friends over atDustyGroove:
Subtle dynamite from reedman Buddy Terry -- easily one of the most righteous players to work for the Mainstream Records label during its early 70s jazz funk years -- and an artist who really brings a
wider-ranging, Strata East-like sensibility to this set! Buddy plays tenor, soprano sax, and flute on the date -- really stretching out on long, extended tracks recorded in the company of some very hip players -- including
Eddie Henderson and Woody Shaw on trumpets, Kenny Barron and Joanne Brackeen on electric and acoustic piano, Stanley Clarke on bass,
Billy Hart and Lenny White on drums, and Airto and Mtume on percussion! Most tracks build up slowly, with a nicely organic sensibility -- egged on by long, stretching solos from Buddy -- and titles include "Baba Hengates",
"Quietafternoon", "Miscegenation", and "Paranoia".
http://rapidshare.com/files/123813569/Buddy_Terry-
pure_dynamite_LP_1972.rar
peace, E-mile
wow e-mile, that sounds cool *downloading* !
and thanks again good doctor ..
Nice stuff e-mile, some good cover scans for that Buddy Terry here
thanks for the Galper, Doc.
E-Mile thanks so much for the contribution!! I will put it together as a post for tonite with the scans.
Simon thanks for the scans link. I really appreciate both of your guys help here with the blog.
Peace.......DJF
Wwwoww!! Otra vez estoy sorprendido! Durante años habia querido escuchar esta rareza y por fin llego el día!!
Graciaaasss! muchas gracias y sobre todo el blog es fantastico con cosas de la "Mainstream" q' me han sido muy dificiles de conseguir. Ojala tuvieras entre tus curiosidades los otros 2 de Hal q' "solomon" te pide: Wildbird and Inner Journey
Si te puede ayudar? tengo otro gran disco de teclados: Barry Miles - Scatbird (Mainstream).
Si lo necesitas solo avisame y te lo mando con front-back covers!
Saludos! y mil graciassss!
"point of view" is killing it !!
many thanks
cant wait to check this one....thank you!
thank you so much. wonder what happened to this steve haas guy..
to mommy:
he went Tzadik :-)
blog is amazing, so much amazing music I would have otherwise never heard. many thanks
Heavy stuff, thanks.
thanks for this one..i love it..
peace..i apreciate it
hey great stuff! also thanks for the hi res cover. im gonna make a stencil art out of it!
Thaank you very Much!
Thanks Doc! Finally got around to giving this one a listen and agree it is a MONSTER. Point of View is the one for me here!
Thanks from the shad shack too!
Good evening Dr Johnny,
I’ve linked to your page in my post of Sir Edward (Harold Vick) – “The Power Of Feeling” (1973). Connection is bassist Victor Gaskin ...
All the Best,
Simon
I picked this up through Shad Shack but I think it was your link so thanks
Thanks. A forgotten gem from the Fusion Era.
Post a Comment